2 months

2:57 AM


Riding the subway in Seoul- Asian selfie in full effect a mere two days in.
Initially, I didn't want to start a blog about my time in South Korea. Mainly because I felt like my closest friends would hear what I have to say about the experience, but also because it's been done. Overdone. But alas, here I am. I don't want to use this space as a place to convince you to come to Korea, nor as a place to write of my travels, which I have done in the past. Those things may sneak in here and there, but for the most part I want this to be about my everyday life in Korea. The good, the bad, the weird, the food, the sexist, the rude, the the the... So here goes nothing.

I've made it to the 2 month mark and I already have ample stories that would make a Westerner audience raise their eyebrows. Despite trying SUPER hard not to have any expectations, Korea is nothing like I thought it would be. Coming from a month in Thailand, I felt like I could handle anything. Life in Korea is not like life in Thailand, despite both being part of Asia.

A few things that stand out, from the first 2 months:

  • extremely not foreigner friendly
  • little to no english in most places (I've been caught saying "korea is just so....korean")
  • exclusive
  • I fucking love kimchi 
  • Korean BBQ is my new favourite food. screw Thai.
  • the kids are very sweet and well behaved...for the most part.
  • sexism is real
  • so is racism 
  • avocados are expensive
  • ramen is the most popular snack food
  • the dentist is a very scary place in Korea
  • it rains.... a LOT. 
  • the ocean is magnificent and calming
  • stop signs don't exist. pedestrians DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!
  • NO TALKING EVER ON PUBLIC TRANSIT. EVER.
  • budding in line is common if you're a foreigner. no respect.
  • god bless convenience stores!
  • Jeju is a small island. Seogwipo is the smallest city here.
  • Asian melon is delicious. I'm hooked.
  • there is a mould problem on this island.
  • ...and around every corner there is a scene so beautiful it takes your breath away. or at the very least, makes you appreciate your surroundings and this sweet place called planet earth.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

I don't have Facebook

I don't have FLICKR